Tuesday, December 17, 2013

War Babies (extra)

 
Artwork done by John Robertson. This piece is about children being drafted for war around the world. We see more and more children working as spices, carrying supplies, used as human mine detectors and to carry out suicide missions in war. Over 200,00 children were serving in war conflicts during the past years and its very upsetting to think abut.
 
As you can see Robertson has placed this child in a target, because he is too small to defend himself. He is even too small to hold the machine gun. The fact that Robertson has made this child so small makes me feel like he has a strong disliking towards children soldiers.
 
The baby has a very sad/confusing look on his face. It's like he doesn't understand what is going on. The way his feet are placed makes me think that he is just learning how to talk. It's is almost inferring that as soon as the kid can walk, he can hold a gun and fight. If that's the case, most children learn to walk around a year old, so this little guy might only be one. Too young to be a solider.
 
The words at the top say 'Oh Mommy Sugarland,' this might not have anything to do with the work. But there is a song called Joey that the band Sugarland produced a few years ago. I feel like it can relate to this image. I have copied a part of the song and have inserted it below.

Joey


Would I know this hurt
Would I feel this pain
Do you know that with all I have left in my very last breath I will call your name

Joey I'm so sorry
Ohoohoh can you hear me?
Joey I'm so sorry

Were you sad
Were you scared
Did you wish for a prayer to be free
Was it quiet and cold
Was it light or too dark to see
And did you reach for me
 
For some reason when I saw this image I thought of that song. The title of the piece is 'Oh Mommy Sugarland' this song is about losing a love of some kind, possibly a child and it was written my a band called Sugarland. So I feel like there might be some connection. Maybe not, but it's possible.
 

 

1 comment: